I've been in the Email Design trade for nearly 8 years now, and it's not unusual to hit the odd creative slump, or even possibly contemplate the need to take up a new challenge from time to time. This feels different though.

Like many other people my inital grounding was in Web Design, but I soon found my niche in designing emails for a local ESP based here in the UK and although these past 8 years have been full of ups and downs, the amount I've learnt in that time has been amazing and I wouldn't change it for the world.

For example... ask a Web Designer to design a successful email that works across all major mobile email clients, as well as render pixel perfect in Lotus Notes 8 through to Outlook 2013 and they wouldn't have a chance. The problem starts when the Web Designer asks me to do the same for him / her...!

My worry is - are we pigeon-holing ourselves too much by focusing on just Email Design? Or should we be more 'jack of all trades - master of none'?

If I decided to take up another role somewhere else, other than one other ESP related company in the region; companies who have the need for Email Designers are few and far between in this neck of the woods. Many would require me moving my family hundreds of miles away, whereas if I'd kept my speciality in Web Design - I could name 10 - 20 companies straight away within a 25 mile radius of where I live which I could potentially join.

Do any of you share these same worries? Do you think it's much of an issue these days with companies seemingly happy for employees to work remotely? Does it worry you to the point that you constantly use any free time you have keeping up to date with the latest techniques / technologies in web, UX and UI design just in case the unthinkable happens and you need to change specialties?

I'd be interested to hear all opinions.