I run an eComm website and my acc't manager over at my email marketing firm told me that recently, Gmail changed their "inbox algorithm" (if that makes sense), resulting in more email to go into users' inboxes... I'm guessing, this is mail that may have normally gone straight to the Gmail user's spam folder...

Did anyone else hear about this?

Anyhow, this resulted in more spam complaints for my sends... she surmises that my mail is now appearing in contacts' inboxes who weren't normally receiving my mail or at least hadn't received it in a long time.

Since I've received an uptick in "spam" complaints, I now have to "re-confirm" many of my Gmail contacts... about 19,000 (however, the entire 19,000 did not mark as spam... but since Gmail does not provide the addresses of the user's who complain, we've had to run a report on ALL Gmail contacts to find users who hadn't previously been opening mail - and that number came to 19,000). I've moving them off of the normal sends list and placing them in a "holding cell" while I wait to come up with a re-engagement campaign that will either add them to the normal list again or suppress them forever…

Has anyone come across this problem with any of their clients or their own ecomm websites recently?

How are you handling it? What are your thoughts?