I've been working on this write up for a while, but after the great discovery made by Michael Muscat in regards to responsive design, I was compelled to investigate Windows Phone further from an email design/campaign point of view to answer further questions.

Being a Windows Phone user and having access to all the goodies/development tools, I was able to go full out on experimenting with Outlook Mobile on all versions of Windows Phone.

I've been able to discover more about Windows Phone and its native mail app, a summary of what I've found is:

• The official name of the mail app in Windows Phone is Outlook Mobile
  • Windows Phone 7.5+ has the potenital for CSS3 support in the mail client
  • POP3/IMAP mailboxes render with IE Mobile
  • Exchange/Office 365 do not render with IE Mobile, and seem to use an EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) client
  • EAS based mailbox accounts render email very differently to POP3/IMAP mailbox accounts
  • In Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1, IE Mobile 11 renders some webkit properties.

And more...

Generic information on IE based clients has also been documented as a branch of this write up, because it was discovered during researching and testing.

I'll admit, this write up is more of a documentation exercise rather than being examples/code based, but hopefully it documents key points that weren't previously known.

Read the full write up (split into three parts) - http://blog.jmwhite.co.uk/2014/08/16/microsoft-outlook-mobile-explained