Our Favorite Responsive and Mobile Email Resources11
Since January 2012, mobile email opens have increased a whopping 63% and now make up 44% of all opens. Synonymous with this trend has been a growth in articles about mobile design approaches, and tips on how to make emails that are optimized for viewing in all environments. While we’ve written numerous posts on the topic, there are tons of great articles and resources from other sources, too.
Here’s a roundup of the best mobile email content, both from our blog and around the interwebs.
Tips, tricks, and stats
- Mobile email compatibility guide: A look at popular email apps for mobile and compatibility basics like support for media queries, image blocking, preview text, and more.
- A detailed guide to responsive email design by Campaign Monitor.
- Responsive vs. scalable email design: Differences between the two techniques + examples.
- June 2012 market share stats: Mobile opens hit 44%.
- The importance of optimizing your emails for viewing in all inboxes.
- Multiscreen email design strategies and tips: A Silverpop whitepaper that incorporates advice from industry experts.
- A hands-on overview of the BlackBerry Z10: A look at it’s rendering capabilities and quirks.
- Responsive email support: Anna Yeaman’s comprehensive guide to where media queries are supported
- A tutorial on responsive email design from Elliot Ross.
- See how five common devices and operating systems render the same email.
- Ten important guidelines to an amazing mobile experience, plus six things to avoid.
- A roundup of mobile-email related stats from Email Monks.
Inspirational mobile emails
- Behance: Achieving mobile cohesion across email and websites
- Expedia: Three-step media queries imitate fluid resizing
- Lasoo: Mobile-optimization for the entire subscriber experience
- Deckers: Responsive email testing has yielded 10% higher CTR
- Hyde Park Jewelers: Responsive design, animated GIFs & clever ALT text
- Twitter: Using responsive design to change layout, content and CTAs
- Monster: A look at why fluid layouts are a great option for text-heavy emails
- Hot Rum Cow: Responsive emails and landing pages
- Vodafone: Uses media queries to only include pertinent information when viewed on the small screen of a mobile device
- WeddingWire: Personalized, dynamic emails that are responsive
- OpenTable: Takes the mobile-aware approach to make it easy to interact with on desktops and mobile devices
- Pinterest: Simple responsive elements make this email legible in all environments
- Charity:water: Responsive design and a great solution for including video in email
- Help Scout: Uses mobile-friendly elements to achieve a scalable email
- Kitbag: Mobile-optimized emails led to a 9% higher open rate
Presentations and Events
- 3sixty Live: Designing for the mobile inbox
- Webinar: Mobile Email (Why, What & How)
- Twitter chat: Mobile-friendly design tips
- Coding Responsive Emails: A webinar from BlueHornet
- Email Strategy and Design for a Multiscreen World: Slides from the Silverpop Amplify conference
- Videos from our mobile email workshop (Litmus login required)
- Detailed responsive email design webcast from Anna Yeaman
- Better Mobile Email Today, No Coding Required: A webinar from Adestra
- Creating a Responsive HTML Email: Chris Converse from Udemy. Use coupon code litmus2013 for a discount!
Templates and Code Samples
- Stamplia: Our friends at Stamplia have created 7 Litmus-exclusive responsive templates. They look great in every client—they’re Litmus tested!
- Antwort: Responsive templates that render well in all major email clients.
- Responsive email patterns, courtesy of Brian Graves
- ZURB: Lots of great responsive templates (just keep in mind that they don’t play nice with Outlook 2007+)
- Mailchimp & Campaign Monitor: These email platforms provide responsive or mobile-friendly templates in their tools. You don’t have to send from them; you can build your email and export the HTML.
Did we miss anything? Let us know if we forgot any of your favorite mobile resources, and we’ll add them to the list!