Email Design Podcast #77: Email Rendering in iOS 11 + Media Query Support Returns to Outlook Apps0
In the 77th episode of The Email Design Podcast, Kevin Mandeville and Jason Rodriguez examine email rendering in iOS 11, break down the return of media query support to the Outlook apps, introduce a new reset for overriding Gmail blue links, and more. Be sure to follow along and join in the discussion on Twitter using #EmailDesignPodcast.
In this episode:
- (0:31) What Email Marketers Need to Know About iOS 11: The good news is that not much in iOS 11 has changed from iOS 10: HTML5 video is still supported and media queries are remaining the same for iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
- (6:03) Consistent Media Query Support Returns to the Outlook Apps: Thanks to the Litmus-Microsoft partnership, media queries are back in Outlook iOS and Android.
- (10:12) Campaign Monitor CSS Support Guide Overhauled: One of our favorite resources just got overhauled to support 150+ more CSS properties and 10+ more email clients.
- (13:21) Gmail now converts addresses, phone numbers, and contacts into blue links: To prevent this behavior, simply use this snippet of reset CSS.
- (16:35) “Filmstrip” technique for interactive emails: Justin Khoo detailed using named anchors for interactivity in email instead of checkboxes or radio buttons. Though it doesn’t have as robust support or is as flexible as other interactive techniques, the key benefits are that it will work in the Gmail app and be supported by MailChimp.
- (19:53) Sublime Text 3: The latest version of the popular editor is officially out for release. It includes a refreshed UI theme, new color schemes, and a new icon. Some of the other highlights are big syntax highlighting improvements, touch input support on Windows, Touch Bar support on macOS, and apt/yum/pacman repositories for Linux.
- (22:55) Email of the Week: InVision Freehand
Follow the Email Design Podcast
GET THE LATEST DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Want to get more tips and advice like this? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get the latest content for email design pros delivered straight to your inbox. Every week.