A Snapshot of the Email Professional [Infographic]0
Nearly 3,000 marketers completed Litmus’ 2018 State of Email Survey, which explores how brands plan, build, approve, send, and measure the performance of their email campaigns.
In addition to fueling our State of Email Survey Research Series, those results provide a great portrait of today’s email professional, which we detail in the infographic below. Thanks again to everyone who took the 2018 State of Email Survey.
Here’s a snapshot of what our survey-takers look like in terms of demographics, work experience, and company information.
Get More Insights from Litmus’ Research
Benchmark your email program against the practices of thousands of marketers worldwide, gain valuable insights, and explore trends in the blog posts, webinars, and research reports based on Litmus’ State of Email Survey.
A SNAPSHOT OF THE EMAIL PROFESSIONAL
Here’s what the average email professional looks like, based on Litmus’ 2018 State of Email Survey of thousands of marketers worldwide.
Worldwide, the email marketing industry is nearly perfectly gender balanced (49.5% male vs. 49.1% female). However, the gender split varies significantly by geography.
What gender do you identify as?
- Male: 41.5%
- Female: 57.2%
- Neither or would rather not say: 1.3%
Europe (excluding UK)
- Male: 70.2%
- Female: 27.9%
- Neither or would rather not say: 1.8%
- Male: 60.1%
- Female: 38.2%
- Neither or would rather not say: 1.6%
Elsewhere in the World
- Male: 58.4%
- Female: 40.3%
- Neither or would rather not say: 1.3%
Half (50.4%) of email professionals are between 25 and 34 years old. In the United States, 53% of email marketers are 34 or younger, compared to 62% elsewhere in the world.
What is your age?
- 24 or younger: 6.1%
- 25-34: 50.4%
- 35-44: 29.0%
- 45-54: 10.4%
- 55 or older: 4.1%
The average email professional performs 4.6 of the 10 tasks we asked about, on average. People working at companies with more than 500 employees were slightly more specialized than those at smaller companies (4.4 tasks vs. 4.8).
Which job function(s) do you perform? (select all that apply)
- Email coding/development: 66.6%
- Email performance analysis/analytics: 63.2%
- Email strategy: 63.1%
- Email planning: 57.7%
- Email designing: 57.6%
- Management of email marketing accounts, clients, or projects: 48.3%
- Oversight all email marketing channel activities: 44.2%
- Email copywriting: 35.2%
- Oversight all marketing activities: 17.6%
- Oversight all business operations: 7.8%
The vast majority (78%) of email professionals have three or more years of email marketing experience. Companies with fewer than 500 employees are twice as likely as larger companies to employ people with less than a year of email marketing experience (6.0% vs. 3.1%).
How many years of email marketing experience do you have?
- Less than a year: 5.2%
- 1-2 years: 16.9%
- 3-4 years: 26.0%
- 5-7 years: 25.2%
- 8 or more years: 26.7%
Part-time workers are an important part of the email marketing industry. Non-American brands have a higher percentage of part-time email team members compared to U.S. brands (21% vs. 16%), as do companies with fewer than 500 employees compared to larger companies (21% vs. 12%).
FULL- OR PART-TIME
Do you work full-time or part-time in the email marketing industry?
- Full-time: 82.2%
- Part-time: 17.8%
Marketing, PR, and advertising companies were well represented in Litmus’ 2018 State of Email Survey. However, respondents represent a diverse range of industries spanning B2C, B2B, nonprofit, and government sectors.
Which best describes the company you work for?
- Marketing, PR, & advertising (including services arm of an ESP): 25.3%
- Software & technology: 16.4%
- Retail, ecommerce, & consumer goods or services: 13.6%
- Nonprofit: 8.2%
- Financial services & insurance: 8.0%
- Education & training: 6.1%
- Media, publishing, events, sports, & entertainment: 5.7%
- Travel, tourism, & hospitality: 4.7%
- Healthcare & pharmaceuticals: 3.7%
- Consulting, legal, staffing, & business services: 1.9%
- Manufacturing: 1.5%
- Telecommunications & utilities: 1.4%
- Real estate & construction: 1.3%
- Transport, wholesale, distribution, & logistics: 0.5%
- Government & political: 0.5%
- Agriculture, energy, mining, & commodities: 0.2%
- Other: 1.0%
While most of them are from the United States, companies from all over the world are represented in Litmus’ 2018 State of Email Survey.
Where is the company you work for primarily located?
- United States: 63.4%
- Europe (excluding UK): 13.0%
- United Kingdom: 10.4%
- Canada: 4.9%
- Australia or New Zealand: 3.6%
- Asia: 2.4%
- South America: 0.9%
- Middle East: 0.5%
- Africa: 0.4%
- Mexico or Central America: 0.3%
A strong majority (64%) of email professionals work at a company with fewer than 500 employees. Outside of the United States, that number rises to 71%.
How many people does your company employ?
- Fewer than 20 employees: 17.0%
- 20-99 employees: 22.9%
- 100-499 employees: 24.1%
- 500-1,999 employees: 13.4%
- 2,000-9,999 employees: 12.5%
- 10,000 or more employees: 10.2%
Litmus gives the email professional the tools and insights they need to be successful. For instance, marketers at successful email programs are 26% more likely than those at less successful programs to use Litmus Email Previews to ensure their emails look great and perform well across all popular email clients. They are also 27% more likely to use Litmus Builder to code and troubleshoot their email campaigns.
SOURCE: Litmus’ 2018 State of Email Survey of nearly 3,000 marketers between Dec. 19, 2017 and Jan. 31, 2018. All questions were optional, so response rates are reported for each question. The 2018 State of Email Survey is Litmus’ third annual global survey of email professionals. We share the learnings from this and previous surveys through our State of Email research series. For a complete list of resources, visit litmus.com/stateofemail.